Empower your patients while increasing your joy of practice!
Jumpstarting Health: Comprehensive Course
Earn 24 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
Learn how to support your patients in changing their lives
Unique live-interactive “First the Docs, then the Patients” approach
- Hybrid program combines 14 hours of online enduring materials with 10 hours of live participant interaction.
- Participate in RLMI’s popular and successful live Zoom-based 15-Day Whole-Food Plant-Based Jumpstart along with a group of patients as well as clinicians like yourself.* Follow along with the Jumpstart eating plan so you can enjoy the flavors, meet the challenges, and reap the successes.
- Learn the science (and politics) behind eating a whole-food, plant-based (WFPB) diet. Learn the power of lifestyle changes to prevent, arrest, and reverse our nation’s most expensive and devastating diseases. Learn the principles of healthy aging and basic strategies for guiding behavior changes in your patients. This self-paced video-based enduring material can be completed before or after the 15-Day Jumpstart.
- Experience Jumpstart by taking it yourself. Learn the skills you need to support your patients by witnessing the instruction and counseling that RLMI’s Jumpstart team provides participants. This course will empower you to help your patients take charge of their own health by moving to a whole-food plant-based diet.
*After registering for this CME course, you must separately register for a Jumpstart, which will constitute the live-patient segment of the program. Attendance at Jumpstart will be taken. You must attend 10 hours including Days 1, 2, 8 and 15 of any Jumpstart. Midweek check-in days may be used to complete the 10 hours. You may attend more than one Jumpstart if needed to complete the required hours of live-patient programming. Day 1, 2, 8 or 15 may be repeated to complete your hours.
BACKGROUND: Jumpstart participants follow a Very Low-Fat Whole-Food Plant-Based Diet for fifteen days. Jumpstart demonstrates to patients the power of behavior change and their own ability to stay on track and experience the benefits of WFPB: “You can do anything for 2 weeks!”.
Since 2018, nearly 1000 people in the U.S., Canada, and the U.K. have taken Jumpstart. Most participants have had significant health improvements—with dramatic health improvements in many, especially those with the most severe chronic conditions.
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Medical Society of New York (MSSNY) through the joint providership of the Rochester Academy of Medicine and Rochester Lifestyle Medicine Institute. The Rochester Academy of Medicine is accredited by the Medical Society of New York (MSSNY) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The Rochester Academy of Medicine designates this activity for a maximum of 24 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)TM.
Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Ted D. Barnett, MD, FACLM, DipABLM. Founding President and Board Chair, Rochester Lifestyle Medicine Institute; Founder and CEO, Rochester Lifestyle Medicine Group. Board Member of the American College of Lifestyle Medicine (ACLM) and Chair of ACLM’s Diabetes Reversal Task Force. Partner Borg and Ide Imaging, Rochester, NY.
Dr. Barnett, the “High-tech doctor with low-tech solutions,” is an Interventional Radiologist who has been personally plant-based since 1991—inspired by the work of Dr. Dean Ornish.
Susan M. Friedman, MD, MPH, DipABLM. Professor of Medicine, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry; Director of Clinical Studies and Vice Chair, Rochester Lifestyle Medicine Institute; Medical Director, Rochester Lifestyle Medicine Group.
Dr. Friedman is a geriatrician and expert in healthy aging and behavioral change. Dr. Friedman is the lead author of the White Paper on Healthy Aging recently published by the American Geriatrics Society.
Caroline Trapp, DNP, ANP-BC, ADCES, DipACLM, FAANP. Director of Diabetes Education & Care, Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
Dr. Trapp is an expert on diabetes and on “deprescribing” medications. Dr. Trapp works extensively in the Navajo Nation helping to reverse the epidemic of chronic disease using plant-based nutrition. She lectures frequently on diabetes reversal.
Conflict of interest: The above faculty members have declared that they have no financial conflict of interest.
From Dr. Esselstyn:
“The Rochester Lifestyle Medicine Institute has created an educational program founded on evidence based science proven to prevent and reverse chronic disease. Participants will readily comprehend the vocabulary of science that will empower them as the locus of control to achieve the goal of lifelong optimal disease free health. The Rochester team, known for its success rate, is now able to offer their skill and knowledge base beyond Rochester nationally and internationally in a format with dignity and simplicity…”
Caldwell B. Esselstyn, Jr., M.D.
Medical Practice Benefits
Increased Joy of Practice
Improved Performance-Based Metrics
Improved Value-Based Payment
Rapidly Improved Biometrics and Mood
Confidence for Long-Term Changes
Reduced Medication Costs
What is the 15 Day Whole-Foods Plant-Based Jumpstart?
Lose Weight, Lower Cholesterol, Decrease Meds, and Feel Better in Two Weeks for just $149.
Our Jumpstart program provides all the information and support you need to achieve positive health results and reduce or reverse chronic disease – from the comfort of your own home!
Jumpstart takes place over four 2-hour small group Zoom meetings. Two additional check-ins are optional, but encoraged to build community and ask questions!
We will make sure you can connect to our Zoom internet web conferencing before the start of the program.
Participants may have substantial changes in blood sugar or blood pressure. We suggest that you consult with your medical provider, as adjustments to medications may be advised.
What does Jumpstart include?
Day 1 – Kickoff Meeting
- Presentations on:
- Relationship between food and chronic disease
- Behavior change & Self-Determination Theory
- The spectrum of diets and nutrition
- Living on a Very-Low Fat Whole-Food Plant-Based Diet
- Personal, interactive group discussion with a medical provider
- Workshop on menu planning and shopping list building.
Day 5 and Day 12
- Practical discussions on motivation, skills and relationships.
- Discuss medical issues with a provider.
- Share personal challenges and victories with the group.
Day 8 – Virtual Potluck Lunch
- Participants take turns showing meal recipes and pictures.
- Recipe exchange
- Midway progress review and discussion
- Discuss medical issues with a provider.
Day 15 – Commencement
- Optionally share results for self-reported data.
- Discuss next steps, plans for continuing the WFPB diet.
- Tips on communicating with your provider
- End of program survey
- Commencement ceremony!