If you’re like me, in the middle of winter you love your comfort food, especially when you’re home all the time and feeling a bit down – such as during a global pandemic…
While looking for an all purpose very low fat whole-food plant-based cheese sauce recipe on different recipe sites, I tried many. One of my absolute favorites is the following recipe from Shane and Simple. You can adapt it with added herbs and spices for mac-n-cheese, nachos, loaded potatoes, over steamed veggies.
Shane and Simple Vegan Cheese Sauce (Nut-Free, Oil-Free, Soy-Free, Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free, Very Low Fat)
- 2 cup potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 cup peeled carrots, diced
- 1/4 of small-sized onion roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt or to taste
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup of warm water
- Boil the potatoes, carrots, and onion until soft – usually 15-20 minutes. Once they’re finished drain them and add to your blender.
- Place all the remaining ingredients in your blender and blend until the cheese dip is smooth and creamy. If it’s too thick you can add a little more water while you’re blending. You shouldn’t have to heat up on the stove as the veggies will still be hot.
- Pour into a bowl and enjoy.
- Store leftovers in airtight container up to a week.
Stir in one can of diced tomatoes and green chiles for a tex-mex kick. Add 1 Tbs smoked paprika for nacho sauce. Decrease the water for a thicker sauce. Add 1 Tsp cayenne for a spicy sauce.
Steamed Broccoli and Shane and Simple’s Vegan Cheese Sauce