As I watch the snow build up outside, I crave the idea of eating a warm hearty soup. There’s nothing better on a cold winter day.
This one, by the Vegan 8, is a winner. It’s very easy to make, uses simple ingredients, and is filling. And, it’s super healthy. No oil, gluten free and virtually fat free.
After two of my friends made this and lauded the results, I decided it was my turn. Three’s a charm. WOW! This soup is super savory and delicious.
- 4 1/2 cups no sodium DARK vegetable broth/stock (I used organic vegan Better than Bouillon Seasoned Vegetable Base)*
- 1 packed cup (160g) finely diced white onion
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced (two tablespoons minced garlic)
- 1 inch cube fresh ginger, minced (I used ginger powder)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes (about 5 cups)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Two 15oz cans organic chickpeas, drained & rinsed (I soaked and cooked dried chickpeas)
- 1-2 tablespoons nutritional yeast, to taste
- 4 heaping cups roughly chopped fresh kale, stems removed* (I used organic frozen Spinach)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder-optional
- Prepare the sweet potatoes, onion, ginger and garlic.
- In a large pot, add the broth, onion, ginger, garlic, sweet potatoes, salt and pepper. Stir well and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover with a lid and turn to simmer for about 15 minutes until the sweet potatoes are almost fully tender.
- Add the chickpeas (drained & rinsed), nutritional yeast and kale. Return the lid and simmer an additional 10 minutes. (I stirred in a tsp chili powder at the end.)
*Better than Bouillon contains salt, so no need to add any other salt to this recipe. When you purchase Better than Bouillon read the label carefully. This brand makes Vegetable, No Beef and No Chicken, which are all plant-based; but it also makes regular Beef and Chicken, which can be easily confused with the others.
Note: This recipe can be made in a pressure cooker.